Another Presiding Bishop, a Coronation, and a Candlestick



James DeWolf Perry was the (Episcopal Church) Bishop of Rhode Island (1911-1946), and the Presiding Bishop in the Episcopal Church (1930-1937).  

He was the last Presiding Bishop who was not required  to leave his Diocesan  Episcopate upon becoming Presiding Bishop.

I never knew him (he died in 1946) but I own something which he owned (see below).

I knew, loved and respected his oldest son, the Revd. DeWolf Perry.  More about that later.

Presiding Bishop Perry got to know the C of E Archbishop of York William Temple (later of Canterbury).  Their friendship led to the younger Perry (my friend) becoming an Honorary Chaplain to Archbishop Temple at the Coronation of King George VI in 1937.

Get that current Presiding Bishop Michael Curry.  A Coronation trumps a wedding!

Young DeWolf Perry's honorary role in the 1937 Coronation became newsworthy in the U.S.A. press.

He was described as America's most eligible Bachelor!

American republicans (with that lower case "r") wondered why an Episcopal Church Priest would want to grace the Coronation of yet another King George.

One newspaper declared that young Mr. Perry was not a fair exchange for Wallace Simpson.

(At the time of the Coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953 DeWolf Perry, then the Rector of St. Michael's Church in Charleston S.C. became a bit of a celebrity in South Carolina when he was able to give talks about U.K. Coronation rites and rituals. Thanks to his son Dain Perry for this information)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  DeWolf Perry had been the Priest in Charge at the Church of the Good Shepherd, Fitchburg, MA until I became the Deacon, then Priest in Charge in 1976.

Church protocol required that he and his terrific wife Kitty should leave CGS when I was given that charge.

I would have nothing of it.  I wanted and needed the Perrys to continue their life at CGS.

And so they did.  I wanted and needed their presence. 

Kitty became a dear friend. I needed and trusted her wisdom.

DeWolf became my essential mentor. About every two weeks I would sit down with him and rant as only I can rant.

My uninterrupted ranting over, DeWolf would keep silence and then say "now Michael".

That "now Michael" always  preceded his gentle response to my nonsense.

-------------------------------------------------------

When DeWolf lay a dying in a Hospital in Worcester, MA I rushed down to be with him and his family, and to pray with them.

Kitty could not bear to stay until the end, so I drove her back to their home in Princeton MA. where we waited in silence for the 'phone call which signaled his death. Such an honour for me.

Bishop Andrew Wissemann presided at DeWolf's Burial Eucharist at Christ Church, Fitchburg, MA  (where Bishop James DeWolf Perry had once been the Rector, 1897-1904).

Bishop Wissemann was unable to officiate for the Burial Prayers in Bristol, R.I., so that solemn task was devolved to me.  It was a holy privilege.

About that  Candlestick.




As a young man DeWolf Perry bought it in France as a gift for his father the Bishop.

After Bishop Perry's death the candlestick reverted to DeWolf.  

 Many years later he gave it to me.

Comments

  1. So interesting, Michael! Col. and Mrs Ralph Stevens attended Good Shepherd- my in-laws.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"