Bangers and Mash at home tonight (Sunday 18th March '18) SO DARN GOOD!

About a week ago my American friend Cindy W. said that she and her husband Wesley W. like Bangers and Mash but that they found bratwurst to be an only tolerable substitute for bangers.

Then, through  one of St. Patrick's unrecorded miracles, I saw that Trader Joe's was selling Irish Bangers.

I bought some for Cindy and Wes, and some for me.

Tonight was my Bangers (so called because unless the skin is scored with a fork they pop [or bang] when being cooked) and Mash dinner.

I made mashed potatoes from scratch ( no ready made Supermarket mashed spuds a.k.a. Wallpaper Paste), fried the bangers until they were well browned, and served them with garden peas and mushroom and onion brown gravy.



So very good!

There is a canard spread by the French (minor joke!) that Irish and British foodstuffs are inferior.

I beg to differ!  I think that travel writers could well describe Bangers and Mash as an Irish/British peasant dish, much to be desired.

The same is true of "Bubble and Squeak" of which I will   
write in the future ( N.B.  you cannot make it in the U.S.A.).

The French be damned!  My Bangers and Mash today was utterly delicious.  Ethnic food at its best.

(Listen to Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren)

https://youtu.be/aGFpVN2xwXU


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"